No matter if you paddle for fun or for performance, your legs are your power-centre, therefore the legs and seat require comfort and support during intense kayaking, outrigger, canoe or surf ski sessions. How you protect your seat while paddling can make or break your on-water adventures, with bruising, chafing, and sunburn resulting from gear that does not protect your skin or body, especially the seat area.
Good quality paddling pants and paddling shorts will keep you comfortable, warm and protected, so you can stay on top of your game. Many top level athletes agree that protecting the bones of your seat, and back of the legs while on a surfski or kayak is key to enhancing your paddling performance.
Canadian Olympic kayaker Simon McTavish explains that “If I don’t have the right balance of padding and abrasion resistance under my bum, the pain in that area ends up distracting me from my paddling performance. I’ve tested pretty much every kind of clothing for paddling, and won’t leave the dock in anything less than a Vaikobi paddling pant or short.”
Designed by paddlers for paddlers, Vaikobi’s extensive collection of shorts and pants for kayaking, surfski and other waterports is the solution to these challenges.
These essential technical features, top quality materials and innovative technologies match the performance needs of paddlers:
- Minimise the rubbing and bruising on your legs, via highly protective abrasion resistant panels (Vaikobi Abrasion Resist)
- Seamless padding and airprene seat areas are game changers in terms of your comfort, allowing you to paddle for longer without fatigue
- Vaikobi’s neoprene and hydrofleece fabrications help you maintain the perfect lower body temperature during your performance training or racing
- No more sunburns on your legs/ while wearing Vaikobi’s UV fabrications
Vaikobi’s shorts and pants for performance paddlesports:
UV Paddle Shorts offer UV 50+ sun protection, are perfect for long practices and for racing. The UV Shorts are extremely comfortable, quick drying, and feature just the right amount of grip in the seat pad that doesn't restrict movement. The Vaikobi paddle shorts offer a high waist back, so you won’t have to worry that they will slip down and expose the skin. They’ll soon become your favourite paddling shorts, thanks to their excellent quality and seat protection.
Edge Padded Shorts are a perfect fit for both paddling and sailing. They’ll make a huge difference in your comfort, literally saving your butt from bruising and chafing. The key difference between this padded short and the UV shorts above is the padded area. The Edge Padded short has a generous seat pad area that extends all the way to the side seams, back waistband and leg seam, so you are protected from bumps and abrasion on the entire back area of the short. They are also extremely useful for avoiding rashes at the lower back. You’ll definitely enjoy the extra padding during your long paddles and the fact that it prevents slipping on the seat. Also, the spandex at the front will keep you cool. The consistent padding across the bottom offers your sit bones cushion, helping release the additional pressure caused by the lower sitting position in the surfskis.
Vaikobi UV paddle pants feature seamless neoprene padding on the seat, which means there are no seams to cause your skin irritation. They are ultra light and breathable, making them the perfect paddling pants for the warmer weather. The UV Paddle Pants not only provide protection from the sun (UV 50+ ), but are very supportive and super comfortable. They feature a high waist so the pants fit perfectly while in the seated paddling position.
VCold Flex Pants, available in 2 colour options (stealth black and navy), are the only way to go in your winter paddling adventure.They keep you warm even when wet. The VCOLD long pants fit perfectly and snug, are very comfortable, with no rubbing and they don’t slip down while you’re paddling. VCOLD FLEX technology makes you enjoy the first winter wave and even the cold breeze. Your favourite cold weather paddling pants, guaranteed.
Vcold Flex Shorts are excellent for ski paddling, providing enough padding for your thighs and bum. They keep your upper legs, lower back and waist warm and comfortable, minimising any chafing that comes with regular daily paddles.
FlexForce wetsuit pants for paddling are ideal when you need to keep the winter cold off the legs and lower back while paddling, superstretch FlexForce neoprene wetsuit pants are your best bet. 1.5mm neoprene keeps you very warm during winter paddling sessions, it’s very flexible and does not restrict the paddling motion. It fits great, and is easy to get on and off.
For women, Vaikobi have created UV leggings for waterports, which protects the legs from UV rays, and keeps the top of the legs warmer than a standard workout legging.
- In Summer, try these ultralight UV leggings: ACTIV UV WOMENS 3/4 LEGGINGS or ERGO UV FULL LENGTH LEGGINGS to feel super comfortable paddling in these quick drying leggings. The high waist ensures that they stay put, without riding up or down so you can enjoy your session. The Ergo leggings are available in blue or black.
- For cross-season paddling, you will feel super warm and cozy wearing the ACTIV HYDROFLEECE WOMENS LEGGINGS-BLACK. They are fleece lined, they are slim, stretchy and flattering, but not too heavy. They dry fast, which makes them ideal for paddling. They are a great fit, the mid rise waist preventing them from moving and slipping. Their breathable fabric provides enough warmth at the beginning of your paddling session, but not too much to overheat you. You’ll feel like wearing a second skin.
With so many top quality paddle pants and shorts options to choose from, you’ll be sure to find the perfect match for your needs. Invest in quality paddling bottoms that protect your seat while paddling, and you’ll enjoy each water session even more.